BREAKING: Kwara Govt Razes Down Sarakis’ Welfare Home

'Dotun Akintomide
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

The Kwara State government has demolished a welfare home belonging to the Sarakis in Ilorin on Thursday, despite protests lasting till late Wednesday’s night.

The property popularly known as ‘Ile Arugbo’ has for many years, served the purpose of accommodating aged people who troop to the place to benefit from the social welfare programs of the Sarakis.

Since late December when the news of the land revocation and the planned demolition broke, it has generated heated controversies between the followers of Sen. Bukola Saraki and Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq.

Rubbles of the demolished buildings

It was gathered that the building was demolished early Thursday morning after security operatives dispersed protesters, including aged women within the complex who had protested throughout the night.

The state government had fix midnight for the demolition exercise to avoid a clash with Saraki’s loyalists who had been keeping a vigil in the area.

Saraki has accused AbdulRazaq of “riding roughshod” on his deceased father, Olusola Saraki who built ‘Ile Arugbo’ in the name of one of his companies. He said the land revocation was part of attempts by the Governor to wipe out his father’s legacy in Kwara.

“The property had been rightfully allocated to my late father under the name of one of his companies, Asa Investment Limited, since the 1980s and contrary to the claim of the Governor, the land was properly allocated and a Right of Occupancy title issued on it,” Saraki said.

However, the Kwara state government has maintained that the land was acquired illegally.

The AdulRazaq’s administration claimed that the land was originally designated for the construction of a secretariat and parking lot of the civil service clinic, but that it was unlawfully allocated to a private firm — Asa Investments Limited — without any record of payment to the state government.

The decision was reached after a panel by the Kwara State government recommended that the house be demolished because it was acquired illegally.

The state government plans to build a secretariat on the land in 2020.

Ad

X whatsapp