Breaking! FG Extends Deadline For NIN Update As Nigerians Rage

'Dotun Akintomide
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

The Federal Government,FG has extended the deadline earlier issued to all telecommunications operators in the country to block SIMs without National Identification Number (NIN).

Last week, the government had directed Telcos to block SIMs not linked with NIN by December 30. This has led to a mad rush among Nigerians attempting to meet the deadline.

Read also:


Reps Fault FG’s Ultimatum On Sim Registration, Pass Resolution To Extend NIN Update

Simi Knocks FG Over Directive To Telcos To Block Sim Without NINBreaking! FG Extends Deadline For NIN Update As Nigerians Rage

The New Diplomat earlier reported the rush has become a precipice for chaos amid the second wave of the pandemic in the country.

Apparently reacting to the outrage over the NIN registration, the Federal government extended the deadline for subscribers with NIN from 30th December, 2020 to 19th January, 2021 to do the update.

While for subscribers without NIN, the deadline for the registration has been extended from 30th December, 2020 to 9th February, 2021.

In a statement titled: ‘Extension of Registration Period and Cancellation of USSD and Verification Fees’, the Executive Vice-Chairman, Nigerian Communications Commission, Umar Danbatta; and Director-General, National Identity Management Commission, Aliyu Aziz made the disclosure, Monday.

The statement read:  “The National Task Force on National Identification Number and SIM Registration met today, 21st December, 2020.

“The meeting was chaired by the Honourable Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami with major stakeholders in the sector including Chairman – NCC, EVC-NCC, DG-NITDA, DG-NIMC, ECTS/ECSM-NCC, Chairman ALTON, CEOs of MTN, Airtel, Ntel, Glo, Smile, and 9Moble in attendance.

“Based on the endorsement of the Federal Government of Nigeria, the following resolutions were made:

“Three (3) weeks extension for subscribers with NIN from 30th December, 2020 to 19th January, 2021; and

“Six (6) weeks extension for subscribers without NIN from 30th December, 2020 to 9th February, 2021.”

Read also:


SIM Registration: Relief As FG Extends Deadline for NIN

Outrage Over FG’s Directive To Telcos To Block Sims Without NIN

Ad

X whatsapp