Borno Govt laments as Boko Haram stalls completion of N17bn roads, bridges

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

Borno State Government on Thursday decried the negative effects of the activities of the Boko Haram insurgency in the state was the inability to complete N17 billion roads and bridges projects in Maiduguri metropolis, including three-kilometre Lagos Street Bridge awarded in 2012.

The insurgents, according to government officials had targeted roads construction workers especially engineers and the routes through which building materials were transported to various projects sites in the state.

The roads projects cover a total distance of 48 kilometres, including the Old Maiduguri 7.5 kilometer dual carriage way.

Commissioner of Works and Transport, Alhaji Adamu Lawan disclosed this at the Maiduguri-Bulumkutu and Lagos Street project sites, while briefing newsmen over the uncompleted roads projects.

The affected construction firms, according to him; include Eighteenth Engineering Company, EEC, Grand Scope Company and a Kano-based Hajaig Construction Company handling the Bulumkutu roads projects that had been stalled by insurgency and insecurity of engineers and other workers.

He said, “The non-completion of these roads and bridges in Maiduguri in metropolis was caused by the insurgency. We are very frustrated over this development. It prevented the haulage of roads construction materials and equipment to sites; while the lives of sites engineers were threatened, including the killings of some contracting partners in 2013 and 2014 at three different project sites in Borno State.

“Hajaig firm had; for example, brought in its laterite from Damboa, 87 kilometres from Maiduguri, unfortunately the road was closed to motorists for almost two years ago. Other roads construction equipment had to be transported from far away Kano to this Bulumkutu project site. The state government had wanted to revoke this contract, but doing so could lead to the loss of over N2 billion.”

He however said the Bulumkutu high density community roads complex had reached 98 per cent completion, explaining that the remaining two per cent, included roads’ marking and painting.

Ad

X whatsapp