I’ve Been Receiving Death Threats From High-profile Nigerians, EFCC’s Bawa Opens Up

'Dotun Akintomide
Writer
DSS Combs Former EFCC Boss, Bawa’s Abuja Home, Office

Ad

Why Guinea-Bissau Coup is More Painful Than 2015 Election Loss– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has described the recent military coup in Guinea-Bissau, which halted a nearly completed electoral process, as a deeper personal blow than his own 2015 presidential election defeat. ​In a statement following his evacuation from the West African nation where he was serving as an election observer, Jonathan…

Just In: APC Disowns Goodluck Jonathan Amid 2023 Antics

Kano Govt Demands Immediate Arrest of Ex-Governor Ganduje Over Security Comments

By Abiola Olawale The Kano State Executive Council has called for the immediate investigation and arrest of the former Governor, Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, following what it describes as "inciting and reckless" public comments concerning the state's security situation. The demand, raised after a State Executive Council meeting on Thursday, accused the former governor of…

(VIDEO) Obasanjo backs foreign intervention as insecurity worsens, slams FG’s approach

By Obinna Uballa Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has called on the Federal Government to halt all negotiations with terrorists and seek international assistance to tackle Nigeria’s worsening insecurity. Obasanjo issued the warning on Friday while speaking at the Plateau State Unity Christmas Carol and Praise Festival in Jos, amid a wave of killings and mass…

Ad

Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mr Abdulrasheed Bawa, has disclosed that he has been receving death threats from some eminent Nigerians since his appointment as the head of the anti-graft agency.

According to the EFCC boss, some high-profile Nigerians who have been tried on various corruption charges have been threatening him with a bid to make him drop the charges against them.

Bawa made this disclosure while speaking during an interview session on Channels TV.

President Muhammadu Buhari had appointed Bawa as the EFFC Chairman on February 16, to replace Ibrahim Magu, who has been under investigation for months over allegations that recovered looted were relooted at the commission under his watch.

While making a briefing on the activities of EFCC, Bawa stated that fighting corruption is not as easy as people think.

Although the EFCC boss failed to reveal the names of the ‘high-profile Nigerians’, he however confirmed that eminent individuals being tried on various corruption allegations are fighting back.

In his words: “Last week, I was in New York, as all Nigerians are aware of. A very senior citizen received a phone call from somebody that is not even under investigation. What he (the caller) said to him on phone is that; he is going to kill the EFCC chairman, the young man.

“He said, ‘I am going to kill him. I am going to kill him’. This is to tell you how bad it is. It is actually real. Corruption can fight back.”

When further asked if he meant he has been receiving death threats, the EFCC chairman said, “Yes”.

Ad

X whatsapp