Army In Major Shake-Up

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

Olamilekan Okeowo with Agency report

  • Redeploys 52 generals, 597 other officers
  • Shiite Massacre General affected

The Nigerian Army has redeployed, cancelled or amended postings of seven Major-Generals, 45 Brigadier-Generals and 597 other officers.

The redeployment, which took place last week, is one of the most far-reaching shake-up in the army in recent years. No reasons were readily cited for the new postings and cancellations and amendments of previous postings.

Among the seven Major-Generals affected, the Army cancelled the redeployment of Adeniyi Oyebade, two months after he was transferred from being General Officer Commanding of Nigerian Army 1 Division, Kaduna, to Army Headquarters in Abuja as chief of logistics.

But no new posting was assigned to Mr. Oyebade, who was indicted last year in the December 2015 massacre of Shiites in Zaria. The shake-up was announced in a memo with reference number MS/G1/3OO/2O7 and signed by I.O. Rabiu, a Major-General and Military Secretary, according to military sources.

About 100 Nigerian Army formations, units and departments within and outside the country were copied in the memo. Redeployment has become a frequent feature in the Nigerian Army since Buratai assumed office two years ago, but none of them was as sweeping as the recent exercise. Three major shake-ups had been recorded within the last seven months, with the most recent affecting 147 officers in May.

A total of 227 officers were affected in a similar exercise last December. A breakdown of the remaining 597 affected officers showed that they included 197 colonels, 50 lieutenant colonels, 99 majors, 138 captains, 111 lieutenants and two second lieutenants. Thirty-eight of the total 649 officers had their postings cancelled or deleted, including two major generals, one brigadier general, seven colonels, five lieutenant colonels, 10 majors, eight captains and five lieutenants.

While eight of the officers had their postings deleted, the redeployment of 30 others were amended by the army.

According to the memo, “it is the responsibility of all formation/unit commanders whose officers are affected by this posting to implement accordingly. “Officers must take over on the effective dates indicated. Formation/unit commanders will be held responsible for lapses in the implementation of the directives contained therein.

Ad

X whatsapp