Alleged N80bn Fraud: “No Nigerian Is Above The Law, Get To The End Of Yahaya Bello’s Probe”, Senator Natasha Tells EFCC

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

By Abiola Olawale

Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, the federal lawmaker representing Kogi Central Senatorial District in the National Assembly, has expressed her commendation for the efforts of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in pursuing the prosecution of the former governor of Kogi State, Alhaji Yahaya Bello, over allegations of financial misconduct.

Senator Natasha in a statement signed by her Chief Press Secretary, Arogbonlo Israel, and issued at the weekend in Abuja, also urged the EFCC to not relent in its efforts to probe the immediate past governor of Kogi state, adding that no Nigeria is above the law.

The federal lawmaker also reminded Bello of the importance of respecting Nigeria’s laws and constitution, urging him to submit himself for investigations on the alleged N80.2 billion fraud.

The statement reads: “I was surprised to hear that Yahaya Bello evaded the invitation from the EFCC, despite having served as Kogi’s former chief security officer. As a former governor, he should understand the importance of respecting Nigeria’s laws and constitution.

“It’s a well-known fact that ‘he who comes into equity must come with clean hands’. As such, I advise him to honor the invitation and clear his name while he still has the chance.

“I’d also like to take this moment to appreciate the diligence of the EFCC in handling the case so far. No Nigerian is above the law, and therefore the agency must see this case through to the end if they are to gain the trust of both Nigerians and the international community in the fight against corruption,” she said.

The New Diplomat reports that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had declared Bello wanted in connection to an alleged case of money laundering to the tune of N80.2bn. The EFCC declared Bello wanted after failed attempts to arrest him on Wednesday in Abuja.

It would be recalled that the chairman of the EFCC, Ola Olukoyede, last Tuesday revealed how Bello allegedly withdrew $720,000 from the government account to a Bureau de Change, to pay for his child’s school fees in advance. However, the former governor has since denied the claims, describing them as false and untrue.

Ad

X whatsapp