Alleged Fraud: Court Admits More Evidence Against Naira Marley

'Dotun Akintomide
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

By Abiola Olawale

Following the resumption of the trial proceeding of Azeez Fashola, popularly known as ‘Naira Marley’, a Federal High Court in Lagos has admitted, on Wednesday, the analysis of the contents of an iPhone allegedly owned by the hip-hop singer.

While announcing the development at the court trial, Honorable Justice Nicolas Oweibo, the presiding judge, admitted the CD marked as ‘Exhibit F’, which was tendered at the court by the counsel to the second prosecutor, Anosike Augustine, on the ground that the iPhone itself had already been presented as evidence at the start of the case, in 2019.

The judgement is in contrast with the argument of Olalekan Ojo (SAN), the counsel to Marley.

Ojo had already prayed the court before Wednesday’s trial to strike out the attempt by the prosecutor to invade the privacy of his client by analyzing the phone allegedly found in his custody.

Giving his judgement, Justice Oweibo overruled the objection and admitted the evidence.

The judgement read thus, “I have considered the agreement of both parties as well as the ground for the objection. I consider the CD to be admissible in view of the nature of his case and the evidence of other prosecution witness. Accordingly, it is hereby admitted in evidence and marked Exhibit F.”

However, the court proceeding was stalled due to the absence of Ojo. Akinwale Kola-Taiwo who is Ojo’s team, pleaded for adjournment. The Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC)’s counsel, Bilkisu Buhari did not oppose the appeal.

Following the agreement of all parties involved, Justice Oweibo adjourned the trial till March 8 and 11.

It would be recalled that the Soapy crooner was charged to court following his arrest by the EFCC in 2019. Marley was arraigned on 11 counts of money laundering and internet fraud.

Many exhibit were allegedly found in his custody, among which are two credit cards which bore the names of Nicole Louise Malyon and Timea Fedorne Tatar respectively. The hip-hop artist has however pleaded not guilty to all the crimes listed against him.

Ad

X whatsapp