Alleged N6.9Billion Fraud: Drama as Ex-Governor Fayose Wins in Court

Abiola Olawale
Writer
Why Nigeria Must Protect Its Democracy At All Cost - Fayose

Ad

Details: Why Roosevelt Ogbonna Quit Access HoldCo board

• He remains Bank MD, Says Access By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has explained that Mr. Roosevelt Ogbonna, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Access Bank Plc, resigned from the Board of the HoldCo to comply with regulatory guidelines issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The company, in a statement signed…

U.S. Crude Stocks Fall Another 2.4 Million Barrels

Crude oil inventories in the United States decreased by 2.4 million barrels during the week ending August 22, after falling 6 million barrels in the week prior, according to new data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) released on Wednesday. The build brings commercial stockpiles to 418.3 million barrels according to government data, which…

NASA Chief, Experts Hail SpaceX as its Starship nails key test flight after fiery failures

By Obinna Uballa SpaceX's major win on Tuesday as its big Starship rocket successfully completed a critical test flight, marking a turnaround after a string of explosive setbacks earlier in the year, has elicited reactions, reports said. Experts have reportedly hailed the move as groundbreaking. The more-than-400-foot rocket, central to SpaceX’s commercial ambitions and NASA’s…

Ad

• Court Dismisses EFCC’s Money Laundering Charges

By Abiola Olawale

The Federal High Court sitting in Lagos has acquitted former Ekiti State Governor Ayodele Fayose of all charges in a ₦6.9 billion fraud and money laundering case brought by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The court, presided over by Justice Chukwujekwu Aneke, upheld Fayose’s no-case submission, citing the prosecution’s failure to establish a prima facie case against him.

Fayose, alongside his company Spotless Investment Limited, faced an 11-count charge of money laundering and theft, with allegations dating back to his tenure as Ekiti State Governor.

The EFCC claimed Fayose received ₦1.2 billion to fund his 2014 gubernatorial campaign and $5 million in cash from former Minister of State for Defence, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro, bypassing financial institutions.

Additionally, the anti-graft agency alleged Fayose laundered over ₦1.6 billion to acquire properties in Lagos and Abuja through proxies and companies like De Privateer Ltd and Still Earth Ltd, violating the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2011.

The case, which began in 2018 under Justice Mojisola Olatoregun, was reassigned to Justice Aneke following a petition by the EFCC in 2019.

After nearly seven years of legal proceedings, Fayose’s defense team, led by Chief Kanu Agabi (SAN), argued that the EFCC’s evidence was speculative and insufficient.

They highlighted that Abiodun Agbele, a key figure in the alleged transactions, was not charged alongside Fayose, weakening the prosecution’s case.

Additionally, testimony from Obanikoro, a key prosecution witness, confirmed no direct communication between Fayose and former National Security Adviser Sambo Dasuki, further undermining the EFCC’s claims.

In its judgment delivered on July 16, 2025, the court ruled that the EFCC failed to provide credible evidence to substantiate the charges.

Justice Aneke noted that the prosecution’s witnesses and documents did not establish a link between Fayose and the alleged money laundering activities.

The court upheld Fayose’s no-case submission, stating that the evidence was insufficient to warrant further defense, effectively discharging and acquitting the former governor.

Ad

X whatsapp