Agbele, Fayose’s Ally: Court Chides Ozekhome over Delay

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

Oil Prices Aren’t Likely To Rise Anytime Soon

Analysts surveyed by Reuters expect Brent Crude to average $67.65 per barrel and WTI Crude to average $64.65 per barrel this year, with slight adjustments from previous forecasts. Factors contributing to the subdued oil price outlook include rising supply from OPEC+ and non-OPEC+ producers, slowing demand growth post-summer, and uncertainties from U.S. trade policies. Major…

US denies visas for Palestinian officials before UN assembly

The administration of United States President Donald Trump has announced it is denying and revoking visas for members of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) and the Palestinian Authority (PA) before the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in September. The announcement was made in a statement released by the US Department of State on Friday. “The…

2027: Crack as Tinubu’s Northern ally, Senator Marafa Dumps APC, accuses president of betrayal, neglect

By Obinna Uballa A major crack has emerged in President Bola Tinubu’s Northern political base as a key stakeholder and former Zamfara Central Senator, Kabiru Garba Marafa, together with his supporters, have all resigned from the All Progressives Congress (APC), accusing the president of betrayal and neglect. Marafa, who reportedly coordinated the Tinubu/Shettima Campaign Organisation…

Ad

Justice Nnamdi Dimgba of the Federal High Court sitting in Maitama, Abuja on Monday, July 3, 2017 berated Mike Ozekhome, SAN, over “attempt to frustrate” the corruption trial process of Abiodun Agbele, an aide to Ekiti State governor, Ayodele Fayose by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.
Agbele is standing trial alongside a former Minister of State for Defence, Musiliu Obanikoro (who was arraigned in absentia), Sylvan Mcnamara Limited, A. O. Adewale, Tunde Oshinowo and Olalekan Ogunseye on 11-count charge bordering on money laundering to the tune of N1.2 billion.
The money was said to be part of N4.7billion allegedly transferred from the imprest account of the Office of the National Security Adviser, ONSA, to the bank account of Sylvan McNamara, a company allegedly owned by the sons of Obanikoro.
At the last sitting, May 24, 2017 the court ordered Ozekhome, who through an oral application, indicated his intention to withdraw appearance for the second defendant, Sylvan McNamara, to file and serve an application of notice of withdrawal within three days and endorse a copy to all the parties in the proceeding.
At the resumed hearing today, Ozekhome was absent in court but was represented by a counsel, Godwin Iyinbor, who informed the court that they were yet to serve the process “because of difficulties”.
Responding, counsel to the EFCC, Wahab Shittu, kicked saying, “this is a calculated attempt by the learned silk to frustrate the trial process and it should be discouraged”.
Describing the development as “unhealthy”, Shittu said that the EFCC had been bringing its witnesses to court at great cost.
The matter could still not proceed as Olalekan Ojo, counsel to the third defendant, had written to the court that he would be attending an interview for the award of Senior Advocate of Nigeria slated for Monday and Tuesday at the Supreme Court and sought for an adjournment.
However, the court in granting Ojo’s application frowned at the attitude of Ozekhome and ordered service of the process before the next adjourned date of October 12 and 13, 2017.

Ad

X whatsapp