After Kyari’s $18 Billion Repairs Flop, NNPCL Considers Selling Port Harcourt, Warri, Kaduna Refineries

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Tinubu Departs Brazil for Nigeria After State Visit

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has concluded a three-day state visit to Brazil, departing the country for Abuja on Wednesday, August 27, 2025. The New Diplomat reports that the presidential jet took off from Brasília International Airport Air Force Base, with a ceremonial send-off attended by Brazil’s Secretary for Africa and the Middle…

President’s son jailed 6 years in fraud case as power tussle soars in Equatorial Guinea

• Two brothers at war over who succeeds Nguema Mbasogo By Obinna Uballa An Equatorial Guinea court has sentenced Ruslan Obiang Nsue, son of President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, to six years in prison for illegally selling a plane belonging to the state airline, Ceiba Intercontinental, a case analysts say reflects growing rivalry within the…

Details: Why Roosevelt Ogbonna Quit Access HoldCo board

• He remains Bank MD, Says Access By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has explained that Mr. Roosevelt Ogbonna, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Access Bank Plc, resigned from the Board of the HoldCo to comply with regulatory guidelines issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The company, in a statement signed…

Ad

By Abiola Olawale

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) says it is exploring the potential sale of its state-owned refineries in Port Harcourt, Warri, and Kaduna, following an estimated $18 billion spent on rehabilitation efforts that have yet to yield sustainable results.

This revelation came from NNPCL’s Group Chief Executive Officer, Bayo Ojulari, during an interview with Bloomberg on the sidelines of the 9th OPEC International Seminar in Vienna, Austria.

Ojulari disclosed that the rehabilitation of the ageing refineries has proven far more complex than anticipated, with technologies employed failing to deliver expected outcomes.

He said: “What we’re saying is that sale is not out of the question. All the options are on the table, to be frank, but that decision will be based on the outcome of the reviews we’re doing now.

“So, refineries, we made quite a lot of investments over the last several years and brought in a lot of technologies. We’ve been challenged.

“Some of those technologies have not worked as we expected so far. But also, as you know, when you’re refining a very old refinery that has been abandoned for some time, what we’re finding is that it’s becoming a little bit more complicated.

“So we’re reviewing all our refinery strategies now. We hope before the end of the year, we’ll be able to conclude that review. That review may lead to us doing things slightly differently.”

The Port Harcourt refinery, which briefly resumed crude oil processing in November 2024, was shut down again in May 2025 for maintenance and sustainability assessments.

Meanwhile, the Warri and Kaduna refineries remain under rehabilitation, with no clear timeline for operational recovery.

Ojulari’s revelation comes after Aliko Dangote, President of the Dangote Group, expressed skepticism about the refineries’ future, stating during a tour of his Lekki-based refinery by a visiting team, that they(Refineries) “may never work again.”

Ad

X whatsapp