Looted Arms: Lagos Residents Cry Out For Help, Lament Increasing Insecurity

'Dotun Akintomide
Writer

Ad

Tinubu Departs Brazil for Nigeria After State Visit

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has concluded a three-day state visit to Brazil, departing the country for Abuja on Wednesday, August 27, 2025. The New Diplomat reports that the presidential jet took off from Brasília International Airport Air Force Base, with a ceremonial send-off attended by Brazil’s Secretary for Africa and the Middle…

President’s son jailed 6 years in fraud case as power tussle soars in Equatorial Guinea

• Two brothers at war over who succeeds Nguema Mbasogo By Obinna Uballa An Equatorial Guinea court has sentenced Ruslan Obiang Nsue, son of President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, to six years in prison for illegally selling a plane belonging to the state airline, Ceiba Intercontinental, a case analysts say reflects growing rivalry within the…

Details: Why Roosevelt Ogbonna Quit Access HoldCo board

• He remains Bank MD, Says Access By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has explained that Mr. Roosevelt Ogbonna, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Access Bank Plc, resigned from the Board of the HoldCo to comply with regulatory guidelines issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The company, in a statement signed…

Ad

By Shakirudeen Bankole

Lagos residents, particularly those living on the Lagos Island and Epe axis of the metropolis, have raised an alarm over the increasing cases of armed robbery attacks in the state.

According to findings, the violence and looting that accompanied the anti police brutality protest, code-named #EndSARS, last month, which led to the killing of police Officers and looting of their armory by hoodlums, may have accounted for the seeming proliferation of small arms and ammunition in the country, and an upward surge in the incidences of insecurity in the land.

The Inspector General of Police, Mohammad Adamu, also lent credence to the findings, when he said, at different fora, that an attack against the police is an invitation to anarchy.

Read also:

#EndSARS: Again, Nigerian Govt Confronted With ‘Evidence’, Accusations Of Silencing Protesters

Insecurity: As Buhari Meets Security Chiefs What’s About To Change

Africa’s Richest Woman, Isabel Dos Santos, Loses Husband

Breaking! Three Dead, Several Injured In Terror Attack On Nice Church

The New Diplomat, while monitoring security situation in Lagos State, in the aftermath of EndSARS protest, uncovered increasing uneasiness among residents of Lekki, Victoria Garden City, Ajah, Badore, and Epe, among others.

A recent robbery attack on a Bullion Van, conveying a new generation bank’s cash, and other reported and unreported gun-wielding violence and robbery attacks on innocent residents on the Island, have been sending chills down the spines of the residents.

Speaking with The New Diplomat, Uche Ugwu, said the ion is so tensed that the only thing that can calm her, is if she could get a licensed gun in the shortest possible time.

According to her, her area, Lekki Phase 1, has been relatively safe, but the Ajah axis has always been a hotspot, and the recent looting has worsened the situation.

She said many of her friends, who live around the area, have also confirmed to her that the situation has never been that bad before.

Ugeu said the causes of the situation are multi-dimensional, and could include existing and bloody gang rivalry groups in the area, availability of more arms and ammunition, stolen during the EndSARS protest, and the collapse of police formations across the state.

Read also:

Soyinka Pays JP Clark A Moving Tribute: Song Of A Goat Pepper-Soup – For JP Clark

Seven Feared Killed In Renewed Cult Clashes In Delta

Reuters Selects The New Diplomat’s S/South Correspondent For ‘Malaria Reporting’ Scheme In Africa

Breaking: 22 People Killed In Southern kaduna

According to her, “those of us in Lekki are sharing security information and beefing up security. I try to get home before it’s dark. Previously, I could be in Lekki even up to 2am. Not anymore.

“Yes, If I could get a gun now, I will,” she added.

Corroborating her submission, Mrs. Sarah Anogwi, Founder and Managing Director, Mrs. Nigeria Queen Peagent, who lives at the heart of Ajah, said people in the area have not been sleeping with two eyes closed since the last month incident.

According to her, “talking about safety now, the feeling of apprehension is high now. We can’t possibly sleep with our two eyes closed.

“Living life in Nigeria is now risky. Insecurity everywhere, the Island is not left out,” she added.

She however disagreed with the notion that all of those people dislodged in Badore and the over 720 people arrested in the security clampdown by the Lagos State Police Taskforce, were all criminals.

Read also:

Seven Militants Feared Dead After Rival Gun Battle In Bayelsa

Toke Makinwa Clears Air On Seized Banana Island Property

Alleged Name Dropping: Ex-Imo Governor, Ikedi Ohakim Arraigned, Gets N10m Bail

Tension in Delta Community As Protesters Torch Houses Over Alleged Death of Team Leader

Edo Guber: Obaseki Vows To Deal With Thugs Aiming To Disrupt Polls

Anogwi said she can’t agree with the generalisation that all of those arrested were hoodlums, “because innocent and hardworking people also took refuge in the dislodged slums with their families.

“We learnt that those that attacked the Police with guns came through the rivers, meaning they are not in the area but only perpetuated the act in the axis,” she argued further.

Mr Peter Onwuaso, another resident on the Island, disagreed with Anogwi, saying most of those arrested were bad boys.

According to him, “between 75% and 85% were bad boys. The remaining 15% either aided or abetted or were silent for fear of their lives, hence they are also accomplices.”

Insisting that the clampdown was very necessary, Onwuaso said unlike before, the once safe and bubbling Island has now become a ghost now because of fear of armed and robbery attacks at nights.

“Anxiety now hovers in the air. People are apprehensive. Palpable attacks by hoodlums or Yahoo boys have transformed our once beautiful and safe Island to a zombie ground,” he added.

An attempt to speak to the State Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Muyiwa Adebiyi, over the matter became futile, as the Police spokesman could not be reached as at the time of filing this report.

Read also:

Breaking: Funke Akindele, Husband Sentenced To 2-week Community Service

It’s Official: Governor Umahi Dumps PDP For APC, States Copious Reasons

Police Low Morale: Defend Yourself When In Danger, IGP Signals Policemen

Just In! Police Declare ex-Minister, Gbagi Wanted Over Alleged Dehumanization Of Staff

Alleged Name Dropping: Ex-Imo Governor, Ikedi Ohakim Arraigned, Gets N10m Bail

Ad

X whatsapp