US-China Crisis: Tension Heightens As US Diplomats Leave Chinese Consulate

Babajide Okeowo
Writer
Presidents Trump and Jinping

Ad

Tinubu Nominates Mahmud Yakubu, Fani-Kayode, Omokri, Others as Ambassadors

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has forwarded a fresh list of 32 ambassadorial nominees to the Senate for screening and confirmation. The list features a mix of seasoned career diplomats and high-profile non-career appointees, including several notable political figures whose nominations have instantly generated significant public discourse. ​This second batch of nominations comes…

Why Guinea-Bissau Coup is More Painful Than 2015 Election Loss– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has described the recent military coup in Guinea-Bissau, which halted a nearly completed electoral process, as a deeper personal blow than his own 2015 presidential election defeat. ​In a statement following his evacuation from the West African nation where he was serving as an election observer, Jonathan…

Kano Govt Demands Immediate Arrest of Ex-Governor Ganduje Over Security Comments

By Abiola Olawale The Kano State Executive Council has called for the immediate investigation and arrest of the former Governor, Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, following what it describes as "inciting and reckless" public comments concerning the state's security situation. The demand, raised after a State Executive Council meeting on Thursday, accused the former governor of…

Ad

The ongoing crisis between The United States of America and China deteriorated further on Monday as American diplomatic staff has left the consulate in the Chinese city of Chengdu, after the 72-hour deadline issued by China expired.

Before Monday’s deadline expiration, the staff of the US consulate were seen leaving the building, a plaque was removed, and the US flag was lowered.

China’s Foreign Ministry in a statement said Chinese staff entered the building after the deadline and “took over”.consulate, US / China tension

Read also: I Won’t Tolerate Disrespect To NASS, Buhari Warns Ministers, Heads Of MDAs, Others

“The closure was a legitimate and necessary response to the actions taken by the US. Staff at the consulate were engaged in activities outside of their capacity, interfered in China’s internal affairs, and endangered China’s security and interests”, the statement said.

In response, a US state department spokesperson condemned the action by saying “The consulate has stood at the center of our relations with the people in Western China, including Tibet, for 35 years. We are disappointed by the Chinese Communist Party’s decision and will strive to continue our outreach to the people in this important region through our other posts in China” the spokesperson said.

Recall that China has ordered the closure of the US Consulate in retaliation to the US closing the Chinese consulate in Houston, Texas last week.

The US had ordered the Chinese consulate in Houston to close last Wednesday over allegations that it had become a hub for spying and property theft.

Read also: $152 billion Debt: Hope Rises As China Mulls Moratorium For Nigeria, Others

Recall also that tensions have been escalating between the two countries over a number of issues. The US has blamed China for the global spread of COVID-19. More specifically, President Donald Trump has alleged that the virus originated from a Chinese laboratory in Wuhan and for deceiving the world about the severity of the issue. Also, the US and China have been locked in a trade war since 2018.

Beijing on its part has denied the allegations and accused the US of “gross interference” in its domestic affairs.

Ad

X whatsapp