Libel Tweets: Atiku Slams N2.5bn Suit Against Buhari’s Aide, Onochie

'Dotun Akintomide
Writer
new-diplomat default image
new-diplomat default image

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

The former Vice President of Nigeria, Atiku Abubakar has slammed a N2.5bn libel suit against President Muhammadu Buhari’s aide, Lauretta Onochie over an alleged defamatory publication.

The suit was in fulfilment of Atiku’s threat to sue the lady, following her tweet on 7 May alleging that Atiku was on the watchlist of UAE over criminal matters.

Atiku had left Nigeria in April for Dubai in the UAE, leaving room for speculations. He returned last week, after one of his aides died in Dubai.

Onochie, special assistant to Buhari on social media, in the tweets also suggested Atiku was shopping for terrorists in the Middle East.

“Atiku on UAE watchlist – security sources; Security operatives in the United Arab Emirates are keeping a close tab on a former Nigerian Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, who has been in Middle East nation for several weeks now. What is he doing there? Me: shopping for terrorists?

In the suit, Atiku insists that there is no iota of truth in the said publication and that it has caused him national and international embarrassment as well as incalculable damages.

Channels TV reported that Atiku was at the Registry of the Federal Capital Territory High Court in Maitama where he formally deposed to his statement of claim before the Commissioner for Oaths.

Mike Ozekhome, a senior advocate of Nigeria is Atiku’s lawyer.

Ad

X whatsapp