BREAKING! Tragedy As 20 Kano Athletes Die In Auto Crash post-Gateway Games

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

(VIDEO) Bandits abduct pastor, worshippers in Kogi church attack, govt deploys helicopter, anti-kidnapping squad

By Obinna Uballa The Kogi State Government has launched a coordinated aerial and ground operation after armed bandits attacked a Cherubim and Seraphim church in Ejiba, Yagba West Local Government Area, on Sunday morning, November 30, 2025. Video footage posted by Egbe Emekun Parrot on Facebook and credited to Olusegun Iselaiye shows a state-deployed helicopter…

Manhunt underway for gunman who killed four, injured 10 at child’s birthday party in US

By Obinna Uballa A massive manhunt is underway in California, United States after a gunman opened fire at a child’s birthday party in Stockton, killing four people and injuring 10 others on Saturday evening. The shooting occurred around 6pm inside a banquet hall in Stockton, located in California’s Central Valley. Authorities say children are among…

SERAP drags Akpabio, Abbas to court over alleged diversion of N18.6bn National Assembly funds

By Obinna Uballa The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has filed a lawsuit against Senate President Godswill Akpabio and House of Representatives Speaker Tajudeen Abbas over their alleged failure to account for N18.6 billion earmarked for the construction of the National Assembly Service Commission (NASC) office complex. SERAP last week lodged the suit, marked…

Ad

By Kolawole Ojebisi

The 2025 National Sports Festival is one Kano sports contingent will not love to remember for its tragic culmination.

This is as 20 of its athletes bristling with life and vigour suddenly met their untimely death in a fatal motor accident at Dakatsalle Bridge in the Kura Local Government area of Kano State.

The athletes were returning from the just concluded National Sports Festival held in Abeokuta, Ogun State.

According to the Chairman of the Kano State Sports Commission, Umar Fagge, the exact number of casualties could not be ascertained as of press time as many other athletes sustained various degree of injuries apart from those who lost their lives in the fatal accident on Saturday.

While shedding light on how the tragedy happened, Fagge explained that the bus conveying 30 athletes fell from the bridge, leading to the death of the 20 athletes.

“As I am talking to you now, we have counted 19 dead bodies,” Fagge said.

Similarly, Ado Salisu, a former Vice President of SWAN, said victims were still being conveyed to Kura General Hospital.

The Public Relations Officer of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Kano Sector Command, Abdullahi Labaran, also confirmed the accident.
He however said that he could not confirm the number of deaths and injured persons.

“We just received the report of the accident, so, I cannot confirm the exact number of casualties at the moment,” he added.

Ad

X whatsapp