Police Allay Lagosians’ Fear, Say Men In Viral Video Are Dangote Refinery Workers

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Tesla sales tumble 40% in Europe as BYD surges past rival

By Obinna Uballa Tesla’s grip on the European electric vehicle market continued to loosen in July, with sales plunging 40% year-on-year even as Chinese challenger BYD posted explosive growth, according to data from the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) on Thursday. New car registrations of Tesla vehicles totaled 8,837 in July, down 40% year-on-year, according…

Tinubu Returns to Abuja, Says Foreign Engagements ‘ll Enhance Nigeria’s Economic Growth

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu returned to Abuja on Thursday, August 28, 2025, following a state visit to Brazil and an earlier visit to Japan. Shortly after his return, Tinubu stated that his international engagements are focused on fostering economic growth, job creation, and long-term prosperity for Nigerians. In a statement shared on…

Access HoldCo Names Innocent Ike CEO as Aig-Imoukhuede tightens grip after Wigwe’s death

By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has confirmed the appointment of Mr. Innocent Ike as its substantive Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (GMD/CEO), effective August 29, 2025, following approval from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The announcement comes less than 24 hours after Roosevelt Ogbonna, the Managing Director of Access Bank, resigned…

Ad

By Kolawole Ojebisi

The Lagos State Police Command has allayed the fear of residents in the state about the sudden arrival of 89 young men in Ibeju-Lekki area of the commercial capital of the country.

The command dismissed speculations making the rounds that the men whose arrival was captured in a viral video are insurgents infiltrating the state.

According to the command, the individuals are legitimate workers recruited from Katsina State for employment at the Dangote Refinery in Lekki, adding that this fact has been confirmed by its officials

The assurance is contained in a statement issued, on Friday, by CSP Benjamin Hundeyin, Police Public Relations Officer and posted on X

The Command stated: “Upon receipt of the information on May 14, 2025, officers from the Command immediately deployed to the location to ascertain the facts.

“Preliminary investigations revealed that the young men in question, 89 in number, had arrived from Katsina State and were recruited to work as labourers at the Dangote Refinery in Lekki.”

The contractor responsible for their recruitment and the refinery’s Chief Security Officer (CSO) both confirmed the arrangement, noting that the men had been cleared to reside and work within the facility.

“The contractor working with the refinery appeared before the police and confirmed that he had personally sourced and brought the labourers from Katsina for legitimate employment purposes,” the statement added.

The Police Command also assured the public that all necessary checks were conducted on the group.

“The individuals were thoroughly searched, and no incriminating items were found in their possession.

“Furthermore, each person properly identified themselves and presented their National Identification Numbers (NINs), which were duly verified,” Hundeyin said.

“The Command remains committed to maintaining law and order across Lagos State and will continue to respond promptly to all matters relating to public safety,” the Commissioner added.

The police advised residents to avoid spreading alarmist content, emphasising the importance of verifying information before sharing.

Ad

X whatsapp