MTN To Resume Operations In Kogi Today As Ododo, Firm End Dispute — ALTON

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Obi Slams ECOWAS Over Guinea-Bissau: Calls Out ‘Double Standard’ 

By Abiola Olawale Former Labour Party Presidential candidate Peter Obi has criticized the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), accusing the regional body of applying a glaring "double standard" in its response to the recent political turmoil in Guinea-Bissau. ​In a strong statement released on his X handle on Sunday, titled "Reflecting on the…

Presidency Slams Obasanjo, Says Terrorism Began During His Administration 

By Abiola Olawale The Presidency has criticised former President Olusegun Obasanjo, directly challenging his recent critiques on the nation's security crisis. In a statement issued on Sunday, the Presidency asserted that the foundation of terrorism and extremist violence in Nigeria was laid during Obasanjo's tenure, dismissing the narrative that the current administration inherited a peaceful,…

Atiku slams N17.5trn pipeline security bill, says figure rivals Nigeria’s 12-year subsidy bill

By Obinna Uballa Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has accused President Bola Tinubu’s administration of overseeing what he described as one of the most alarming financial scandals in Nigeria’s history, following revelations that the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) spent N17.5 trillion in one year on pipeline and energy security. In a statement issued…

Ad

By Kolawole Ojebisi

Telecommunications services disrupted in Kogi State are expected to resume by Wednesday following a resolution of the dispute between MTN Nigeria and the state government, the Association of Licensed Telecoms Operators of Nigeria has said.

This is as Association of Licensed Telecoms Operators of Nigeria (ALTON), assured residents of Kogi State that the network of the telecommunication giant, MTN, disrupted days ago, will be fully restored today, April 30, 2025.

The Chairman of ALTON, Gbenga Adebayo, said the issues that led to the shutdown of telecom masts in the state, primarily affecting MTN, had been addressed, paving the way for service restoration.

Adebayo said this in an interview with Punch Newspaper on Wednesday.

“We have resolved the issues. Services will be fully restored on Wednesday,” Adebayo said.

The New Diplomat had reported how the Kogi State government ordered the shutdown of the MTN service in the state following a compliance dispute between the telecom company and the State Utility Infrastructure Management and Compliance Agency.

The agency had accused the telecom giant of violating operational rules and under-declaring the extent of its optic fibre network coverage in the state.

KUIMCA Director General, Taofeeq Isah had maintained that MTN failed to comply with state operational rules.

“After assuming the office last August, I found non-compliance in their files. A four-day verification showed they covered more areas than declared,” Isah said.

He noted that MTN initially claimed to have laid 48 optic fibres across Kogi, but a joint verification exercise revealed a much larger coverage.

“I called them for a discussion where they complained of being overbilled concerning the area of the state covered by their optic Fibre.”

Kogi demanded additional levies, and MTN’s refusal led to a court-ordered facility shutdown, leaving subscribers and businesses frustrated for over a week.

Officials from the Kogi State Internal Revenue Service also accused MTN of tax evasion and submitting irrelevant documentation during compliance checks.

Ad

X whatsapp