Soludo Opens up: Real Reason Why My Administration Pulled Out Of World Bank Loan 

Abiola Olawale
Writer
How My Journey Inspired Me To Aspire For Governorship --- Soludo

Ad

Tesla sales tumble 40% in Europe as BYD surges past rival

By Obinna Uballa Tesla’s grip on the European electric vehicle market continued to loosen in July, with sales plunging 40% year-on-year even as Chinese challenger BYD posted explosive growth, according to data from the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) on Thursday. New car registrations of Tesla vehicles totaled 8,837 in July, down 40% year-on-year, according…

Tinubu Returns to Abuja, Says Foreign Engagements ‘ll Enhance Nigeria’s Economic Growth

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu returned to Abuja on Thursday, August 28, 2025, following a state visit to Brazil and an earlier visit to Japan. Shortly after his return, Tinubu stated that his international engagements are focused on fostering economic growth, job creation, and long-term prosperity for Nigerians. In a statement shared on…

Access HoldCo Names Innocent Ike CEO as Aig-Imoukhuede tightens grip after Wigwe’s death

By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has confirmed the appointment of Mr. Innocent Ike as its substantive Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (GMD/CEO), effective August 29, 2025, following approval from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The announcement comes less than 24 hours after Roosevelt Ogbonna, the Managing Director of Access Bank, resigned…

Ad

By Abiola Olawale 

Governor Chukwuma Soludo of Anambra State has revealed the reasons behind his administration’s decision to pull out of a pre-existing World Bank loan arrangement.

The Governor cited unfavourable terms and a commitment to fiscal responsibility. Speaking during an inspection of an ongoing Government House and Governor’s Lodge project in Awka, Soludo emphasized that his administration aims to shield the state from unsustainable debt while still pursuing ambitious development projects.

Soludo disclosed that the loan agreement, which was signed before he assumed office in March 2022, contained terms he deemed detrimental to Anambra’s long-term financial health.

He said: “The terms and conditions of the World Bank loans were not favourable for the people of Anambra, so we decided to pull out.

“When I assumed office as governor and reviewed the terms and conditions of those loans, I realised they were not in the best interest of our people. This is a bad deal for my people.

“However, one could say, ‘Let me collect the loans; after all, it is the next generation that will pay.’ I don’t have that kind of conscience. I felt the terms were a bad deal for Ndi Anambra, and I told them we didn’t need it.

“Late last year, they shared 438 million dollars among 35 states in Nigeria, but Anambra was the only state that did not collect. We don’t need to continue mortgaging the state with such loans.”

He noted that Anambra was the only state in Nigeria to withdraw from such a World Bank facility, underscoring his resolve to prioritize the state’s economic independence over short-term gains.

“This Government House and Governor’s Lodge project is a testament to what we can achieve without borrowing. For 34 years since Anambra was created, we’ve lacked a befitting seat of government. Now, we’re building a mini-city of 34 buildings designed to last 200 years, like the White House,” Soludo said, adding that the project symbolizes his administration’s focus on delivering enduring public value.

Ad

X whatsapp