Corruption: NNPCL Reacts To Obasanjo’s Allegations, Offers Him Opportunity To Inspect Warri, Port-Harcourt Refineries

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Tinubu Nominates Mahmud Yakubu, Fani-Kayode, Omokri, Others as Ambassadors

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has forwarded a fresh list of 32 ambassadorial nominees to the Senate for screening and confirmation. The list features a mix of seasoned career diplomats and high-profile non-career appointees, including several notable political figures whose nominations have instantly generated significant public discourse. ​This second batch of nominations comes…

Why Guinea-Bissau Coup is More Painful Than 2015 Election Loss– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has described the recent military coup in Guinea-Bissau, which halted a nearly completed electoral process, as a deeper personal blow than his own 2015 presidential election defeat. ​In a statement following his evacuation from the West African nation where he was serving as an election observer, Jonathan…

Kano Govt Demands Immediate Arrest of Ex-Governor Ganduje Over Security Comments

By Abiola Olawale The Kano State Executive Council has called for the immediate investigation and arrest of the former Governor, Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, following what it describes as "inciting and reckless" public comments concerning the state's security situation. The demand, raised after a State Executive Council meeting on Thursday, accused the former governor of…

Ad

By Abiola Olawale

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) has extended an invitation to former President Olusegun Obasanjo for a tour of both the Warri and Port Harcourt refineries.

The NNPCL said the invitation comes in response to Obasanjo’s recent allegations of corruption regarding the operations and management of the two refineries.

According to the national oil company, the invitation aims to demonstrate transparency and accountability by allowing Obasanjo to witness firsthand the progress and operational status of the refineries.

The New Diplomat reports that Obasanjo had previously criticized the NNPCL, raising doubts over the functionality of the refineries.

Obasanjo had questioned the ability of the NNPCL to run the country’s refineries efficiently.

“But I was told not too long ago that since that time, more than $2 billion have been squandered on the refineries, and they still will not work.” he was quoted as saying during an interview with Channels TV.

However, the NNPCL, through its Chief Corporate Communications Officer, Mr. Olufemi Soneye disagreed with the position of the former President while instead offering him a tour of the Port-Harcourt refinery, which was recently declared “functional”.

Soneye asserted that the refineries have undergone significant overhauls, moving beyond mere maintenance to comprehensive rehabilitation to meet international standards.

The statement reads in part: “Furthermore, we extend an open invitation to President Obasanjo for a tour of the rehabilitated refineries to witness firsthand the progress made under the new NNPC Limited.

“We invite our esteemed former president to join us in this effort as we continue to deliver energy security for our nation and provide tangible benefits to Nigerians.

“His wisdom and experience are invaluable, and we assure him that his advice will always be welcomed and appreciated.

“As part of this transformation, NNPC Limited has gone beyond oil and gas to become an integrated energy company.

“One of our notable achievements is the complete rehabilitation of the Port Harcourt Refining Company (PhRC) and Warri Refinery.

“This process was not merely the Turnaround Maintenance (TAM) of the past but a full-scale overhaul designed to meet world-class standards. Similarly, we are currently conducting the same comprehensive rehabilitation of the old Port Harcourt Refinery and Kaduna Refinery.”

Ad

X whatsapp