Carnival To Catastrophe: Police Arrests Ooni’s Ex-Wife, Others As Death Toll Hits 35

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

By Kolawole Ojebisi

The Oyo State Police Command has confirmed the arrest of the ex-queen of the Ooni of Ife, Naomi Silekunola; the Principal of Islamic High School, Ibadan, Fasasi Abdulahi; and six others in connection with the tragedy that happened at a funfair in Ibadan on Wednesday.

The tragedy which led to the deaths of some children was reportedly as a result of a stampede at the event.

The ex-queen was named as the main sponsor of the event. The event which was held at the Islamic High School, Basorun, Ibadan, was made available to 5,000 children but the number that turned up was reportedly over 7, 500.

More so, the number of children who lost their lives has risen to thirty-five (35) while six others are critically injured, according to a statement issued on Thursday by the Oyo State Police Public Relations Officer, Adewale Osifeso.

Osifeso noted that the event was organised by Wings Foundation, in collaboration with an Ibadan-based radio station — Agidigbo FM, which acts as the event’s media partners.

According to the police, the other arrested individuals include Genesis Christopher, 24; Tanimowo Moruf, 52; Anisolaja Olabode, 42; Idowu Ibrahim, 35; and Abiola Oluwatimilehin, 25.

“So far, 35 minors have been documented dead while six others are critically injured and on various medical interventions.

“In furtherance of the above, the case has since been transferred to the Homicide Section of the State Criminal Investigation Department, Iyaganku, with the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge leading the investigations,” the statement read partly.

The police assured residents around the axis of “high-level patrols” and the presence of its operatives “to prevent hoodlums from taking advantage of the unfortunate situation.

“The Oyo State Police Command sympathises with all the families and loved ones affected by the tragedy and assures the good people of the state that justice will be served accordingly.”

Ad

X whatsapp