Presidency Accuses The Guardian newspaper of calling for military takeover, Alleges Newspaper Incites Unrest Against Tinubu’s Government

Abiola Olawale
Writer

Ad

Details: Why Roosevelt Ogbonna Quit Access HoldCo board

• He remains Bank MD, Says Access By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has explained that Mr. Roosevelt Ogbonna, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Access Bank Plc, resigned from the Board of the HoldCo to comply with regulatory guidelines issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The company, in a statement signed…

U.S. Crude Stocks Fall Another 2.4 Million Barrels

Crude oil inventories in the United States decreased by 2.4 million barrels during the week ending August 22, after falling 6 million barrels in the week prior, according to new data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) released on Wednesday. The build brings commercial stockpiles to 418.3 million barrels according to government data, which…

NASA Chief, Experts Hail SpaceX as its Starship nails key test flight after fiery failures

By Obinna Uballa SpaceX's major win on Tuesday as its big Starship rocket successfully completed a critical test flight, marking a turnaround after a string of explosive setbacks earlier in the year, has elicited reactions, reports said. Experts have reportedly hailed the move as groundbreaking. The more-than-400-foot rocket, central to SpaceX’s commercial ambitions and NASA’s…

Ad

By The New Diplomat Political desk

The Presidency has accused The Guardian newspaper, one of Nigeria’s most outstanding newspapers of calling for military takeover, through its cover story of Friday, October 25, 2024.

The Presidency alleged that the newspaper undertook that move of calling for regime change under the guise of journalism. The Presidency in a statement issued by Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser on Information and Strategy to President Bola Tinubu said
The Guardian, through its cover story with the caption: “Misery, Harsh Policies Driving Nigerians To Desperate Choices”, which mirrored and highlighted the frustrations of Nigerians under the Bola Tinubu government, as calling for regime change.

Onanuga’s full statement reads thus:
RE: “MISERY, HARSH POLICIES DRIVING NIGERIANS TO DESPERATE CHOICES” – OPEN LETTER TO THE GUARDIAN

The Guardian newspaper’s lead story of Friday, October 25, 2024 with the title: “Calls for military intervention: misery, harsh policies driving Nigerians to desperate choices,” openly incites unrest against President Bola Tinubu’s administration and advocates regime change under the guise of journalism. The inflammatory headline and content deviate from responsible reporting.

The Guardian’s agenda is unmistakable from the cover illustration to the article. In attempting to create a balanced veneer, the author condemns military rule while fanning the flames of military intervention.

This is evident in the introduction to the article where the newspaper wrote: “Nigerians were exhilarated with the return of democracy in 1999, but 25 years on, the buccaneering nature of politicians, their penchant for poor service delivery, morbid hatred for probity, accountability, and credible/transparent elections, among others, are forcing some flustered citizens to make extreme choices, including calling for military intervention in governance. .. Deep despondency permeates every facet of the polity consequent upon soaring cost of living. And while the political elite splurge on fine wines and exotic automobiles amid poor service delivery, calls for regime change could become more strident in the days ahead even though military insurrection holds no solution to the country’s woes.”

We must question how The Guardian can present an argument for military intervention while superficially denouncing it unless it harbours a deliberate agenda.

This latest editorial reflects a troubling trend in which the publication has persistently propagated inflammatory and negative narratives, stepping dangerously close to undermining the very fabric of responsible journalism.

Moreover, the lead story relies heavily upon emotive language and imagery—such as an illustration of military armoured tank—to bolster its argument while neglecting to present a balanced view.

It indulges in lampooning the current administration while ignoring positive developments in Nigeria’s economic landscape. The report lacks empirical data and fails to exhibit the journalistic rigour that the situation demands.

It appears lost on The Guardian that such narratives could embolden anarchists intent on disrupting our democratic process.

Military rule is an anachronism in modern civilisations, irrespective of its framing, due to the oppressive nature typically associated with its practice. Guided by its experience in 1984, when two of its journalists were jailed by the military regime for reporting the truth, The Guardian acknowledges that military rule is terrible.

Yet, it attempts to provoke public ire against President Tinubu by suggesting he governs with less regard for citizens than military dictators once did.

This narrative neglects the hard-fought battle that birthed our democracy and serves only to undermine the hard-won freedoms that Nigerians now enjoy.

Good journalism is characterised by restraint and a commitment to national interest. Media outlets must propagate responsible reporting that contributes to an informed citizenry.

During times of political and economic crises, the media, as a force for good, should rally the public around their leaders, fostering unity and patience as reforms are introduced.

President Tinubu has consistently called for understanding and patience amid our nation’s challenges. This plea is not a sign of weakness but an affirmation of his dedication to a brighter future for Nigeria.

Moreover, recent policy changes have initiated a turnaround, yielding positive economic indicators.

According to the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Wale Edun, the revenue-to-debt service ratio has notably declined from 97% in 2023 to 68% in 2024.

Nigeria’s foreign reserves rose to $39.1 billion on October 22, with GDP growth achieving 2.98% in Q1 2024—an increase from 2.31% in Q1 2023.

This growth was driven by sectors beyond oil, including the financial services sector, mining, and quarrying, marking a significant shift in our economic structure.

We are now exporting more than we are importing, with trade surpluses recorded in two consecutive quarters.

In the light of the positive developments, it is unacceptable for any publication, including The Guardian, to incite calls for military intervention based on transient difficulties.

A more cautious and responsible approach would have better served its readers and the nation.

Journalism—like our democracy—thrives on fairness and objectivity, and all media outlets must uphold these standards.

We encourage The Guardian and similar platforms to prioritise balanced reporting that fosters dialogue and understanding rather than division and unrest.

At this time, we need our people and the media to rally around the government as the Tinubu-led administration steers our country through this challenging period to a better future.

Bayo Onanuga

Special Adviser to the President

(Information and Strategy)

October 26, 2024

Ad

X whatsapp