Okpebholo Sounds Alarm, Alleges Edo Govt Officials Engaging in Assets Stripping

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Oil Prices Dip but Stay on Track to Extend Last Week’s Gains

Crude oil prices were set for another weekly rise after additional 25% tariffs on Indian exports to the United States kicked in on Wednesday, raising doubts about the supply of Russian crude. At the time of writing, Brent crude was trading at $68.17 per barrel, with West Texas Intermediate at $64.20 per barrel, both slightly down from Thursday’s close…

Tesla sales tumble 40% in Europe as BYD surges past rival

By Obinna Uballa Tesla’s grip on the European electric vehicle market continued to loosen in July, with sales plunging 40% year-on-year even as Chinese challenger BYD posted explosive growth, according to data from the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) on Thursday. New car registrations of Tesla vehicles totaled 8,837 in July, down 40% year-on-year, according…

Ad

By Abiola Olawale

With the impending transition of power in Edo State, the governor-elect, Senator Monday Okpebholo, has publicly voiced concerns about what he described as a systematic looting of public resources.

He claimed that officials of the outgoing administration of Governor Godwin Obaseki are engaged in alleged misappropriation of public funds and state-owned properties.

In a statement on Wednesday, Okpebholo said the outgoing administration was taking loans from banks and other financial institutions while government officials were also allegedly
feasting on properties including vehicles, furniture and rice, looting them with reckless abandon.

Okpebholo, in the statement, said: “With a great shock, we regret the widespread reports of looting of government funds and properties by officials of the out-going administration from the Government House, Benin City.

“It is sad that barely one month to handover, the out-going administration of Governor Godwin Obaseki is still allegedly obtaining loans from banks and other financial institutions.

“We are also aware of the looting and vandalisation of properties, including vehicles, furniture, gadgets, household utensils and even carpets from offices and residences by officials of the Edo state Government.

“This unacceptable behaviour undermines the trust and faith of our citizens in those entrusted to serve them in the past 8 years.”

He urged relevant authorities, including the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), the Police, and the Department of State Services (DSS), to conduct a thorough inquiry and ensure that anyone found culpable is held accountable.

He added: “The Accountant General of Edo state is hereby advised to uphold the principle of integrity in his duty, as the only act that will put his name in gold. There will be dire consequences for any act of impunity and stealing on any person or institution found wanting in this regard.”

Okpebholo added that the incoming administration will continue to monitor the situation until the last day of the outgoing administration in the State.

The New Diplomat reports that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) had declared the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Monday Okpebholo, as the winner of the Saturday, September 21 election.

According to official results, Okpebholo polled a total of 291,667 votes to beat his closest contender, Asue Ighodalo of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) who polled 247,274 votes.

Olumide Akpata of the Labour Party (LP) came a distant third in the race with 22,763 votes. Fourteen other candidates contested the seat but got less than the three frontline candidates.

The inauguration of Okpebholo is scheduled to take place on November 12, 2024.

Ad

X whatsapp