AFCON Qualifiers: Outrage As Libya Authorities Leave Super Eagles Players Stranded For 13 Hours

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Mapped: U.S. Tariff Rates by Country

Key Takeaways The Trump administration increased tariffs, citing trade deficits and national security concerns. Brazil and India received the highest tariff rate of 50%. Under the second Trump administration, new tariff levels have been applied to over 80 countries, with rates ranging from 10% to 50%. The U.S. President argues that persistent trade deficits and…

Thai Court Dismisses PM Over Compromising Phone Call with Cambodian Leader

Thailand’s Constitutional Court on Friday dismissed Paetongtarn Shinawatra from her position as prime minister, ruling that as the country’s leader she violated constitutional rules on ethics in a phone call with Cambodia’s Senate President Hun Sen. The ruling means she immediately loses her job, which she had held for about a year. Paetongtarn was suspended…

Oil Prices Dip but Stay on Track to Extend Last Week’s Gains

Crude oil prices were set for another weekly rise after additional 25% tariffs on Indian exports to the United States kicked in on Wednesday, raising doubts about the supply of Russian crude. At the time of writing, Brent crude was trading at $68.17 per barrel, with West Texas Intermediate at $64.20 per barrel, both slightly down from Thursday’s close…

Ad

By Abiola Olawale

It appears some personalities in Libya are trying to create a hostile reception for Nigeria’s men’s football team, the Super Eagles.

This is as the Super Eagles players were held hostage at the airport on arrival in Libya ahead of their crucial Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifying match against the Mediterranean Knights of Libya.

Reports reaching The New Diplomat reveal that the situation happened when the chartered flight airlifting Super Eagles players was unexpectedly diverted from Benghazi to Abraq Airport.

The unexpected diversion was said to have been done despite prior agreements and approvals the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) had gotten.

NFF had arranged transportation in Benghazi, but the sudden diversion left the team stranded at Abraq Airport without buses provided by the Libyan FA.

This left the whole Super Eagles team stranded for 13 hours as they were locked up at the airport.

Taking to his social media page, Nigerian Striker, Victor Boniface lamented the unfriendly conditions they were facing in Libya.

He said: “Been at the airport for almost 13 hours no food no wifi nowhere to sleep

“African we can do better @caf.”

Also, Super Eagles captain William Troost-Ekong, in his reaction, hinted that the players might boycott the match if the Libyan authorities continue to treat them poorly.

He said: “We have kept our spirit up, but these are no conditions we will accept when done on purpose. Travelling by road is not safe here and you can only imagine how they would treat us in the hotel or the food they will try to give us. It was funny before, but as a team, we respect ourselves, and under these conditions, we won’t play.”

The New Diplomat reports also that this development came after Libya’s captain, Faisal Al-Badri had accused the NFF of poor treatment during their arrival in Nigeria for the first leg match.

However, the NFF swiftly refuted these allegations, citing last-minute changes to Libya’s arrival plans, which were communicated merely three hours before landing.

Meanwhile, Nigeria is seeking to maintain its top position in the AFCON qualification group. The Super Eagles of Nigeria is currently atop of Group D with seven points.

Ad

X whatsapp