Minimum Wage Crisis: Deadlock As Labour Rejects FG’s N48,000 Minimum Wage Proposal, Says It’s a Reduction

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Tesla sales tumble 40% in Europe as BYD surges past rival

By Obinna Uballa Tesla’s grip on the European electric vehicle market continued to loosen in July, with sales plunging 40% year-on-year even as Chinese challenger BYD posted explosive growth, according to data from the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) on Thursday. New car registrations of Tesla vehicles totaled 8,837 in July, down 40% year-on-year, according…

Tinubu Returns to Abuja, Says Foreign Engagements ‘ll Enhance Nigeria’s Economic Growth

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu returned to Abuja on Thursday, August 28, 2025, following a state visit to Brazil and an earlier visit to Japan. Shortly after his return, Tinubu stated that his international engagements are focused on fostering economic growth, job creation, and long-term prosperity for Nigerians. In a statement shared on…

Access HoldCo Names Innocent Ike CEO as Aig-Imoukhuede tightens grip after Wigwe’s death

By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has confirmed the appointment of Mr. Innocent Ike as its substantive Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (GMD/CEO), effective August 29, 2025, following approval from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The announcement comes less than 24 hours after Roosevelt Ogbonna, the Managing Director of Access Bank, resigned…

Ad

By Ken Afor

Organized labour has rejected the federal government’s proposal of N48,000 as the minimum wage for public service workers in the country.

Labour rejected the offer when it was presented by representatives from the federal government during the resumed tripartite committee meeting on Wednesday, May 15.

In a show of dissent, members of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC) staged a walkout during the virtual meeting.

A labour representative who was at the meeting expressed dissatisfaction, asserting that the federal government lacked seriousness in providing workers with a wage that ensures a decent standard of living.

“What the government has presented to us is a wage reduction. This government is not serious about giving workers a living wage,” the labour leader said.

It would be recalled that on May 1, 2024, during the Workers’ Day celebration, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu had pledged to provide workers with a living wage, assuring them that their wait for better pay was coming to an end.

Meanwhile, NLC and TUC, during the celebration, proposed N615,000 as the minimum wage, citing the risingccost of living as justification for the figure.

During Wednesday’s meeting, the Nigeria Employers’ Consultative Association (NECA) had earlier stated that the lowest-paid worker in the private sector earned N78,000 and consequently put forth N54,000 as the revised minimum wage.

It was gathered that the NLC and TUC will take their next line of action after they might have communicated the federal government’s proposal to their members.

It would be recalled that Tinubu, had set up a 37-member tripartite committee on January 30 to come up with a new minimum wage.

Comprising representatives from federal and state governments, the private sector, and organized labor, the committee’s mandate was to propose a new national minimum wage for Nigeria.

Vice president Kashim Shettima who stood in for Tinubu at the committee’s inauguration, encouraged members to swiftly reach a consensus and submit their recommendations promptly.

“This timely submission is crucial to ensure the emergence of a new minimum wage,” Shettima said.

Shettima stressed the importance of collective bargaining in good faith, highlighting the significance of honoring contracts and fostering consultations beyond the committee’s confines.

The 37-member committee, chaired by the former Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, Goni Aji, is tasked with overseeing the process.

Ad

X whatsapp