12 Die In Lagos Boat Mishap

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

Tinubu Departs Brazil for Nigeria After State Visit

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has concluded a three-day state visit to Brazil, departing the country for Abuja on Wednesday, August 27, 2025. The New Diplomat reports that the presidential jet took off from Brasília International Airport Air Force Base, with a ceremonial send-off attended by Brazil’s Secretary for Africa and the Middle…

President’s son jailed 6 years in fraud case as power tussle soars in Equatorial Guinea

• Two brothers at war over who succeeds Nguema Mbasogo By Obinna Uballa An Equatorial Guinea court has sentenced Ruslan Obiang Nsue, son of President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, to six years in prison for illegally selling a plane belonging to the state airline, Ceiba Intercontinental, a case analysts say reflects growing rivalry within the…

Details: Why Roosevelt Ogbonna Quit Access HoldCo board

• He remains Bank MD, Says Access By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has explained that Mr. Roosevelt Ogbonna, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Access Bank Plc, resigned from the Board of the HoldCo to comply with regulatory guidelines issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The company, in a statement signed…

Ad

The Lagos State government on Sunday confirmed the death of twelve persons in the boat mishap which occurred at the weekend in Ilashe area of the state.

It had earlier said that nine persons lost their lives in the mishap. But the death toll increased thereafter.

In a statement issued by Abisola Kamson, Managing Director of Lagos State Waterways Authority (LASWA), the state government attributed the unfortunate mishap to overloading of passengers on a banana boat and operation of illegal jetty.

Kamson said four victims of the mishap who were rescued are already receiving treatment at a nearby hospital, while search and rescue operation was still on-going.

While commiserating with the families of those that lost their loved ones, the state government said the mishap had again brought to the fore the need for the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA) to respect the recent verdict of the Court of Appeal which upheld the powers of the state government to control its intra-inland waterways.

Going into details of the mishap, Kamson said: “An unfortunate incident occurred at Ilashe on Sunday, August 20 arising from overloading of passengers on a banana boat taking off from an illegal jetty which has become a perennial issue of the Lagos State government to rid our waterfront areas of illegal operators.

“We sympathise with the families of the deceased as nine lives were lost in the mishap and four people receiving treatment in the hospital.

“The LASWA rescue team has been on ground and search is still on-going. This brings to fore again the need for NIWA to allow the judgment of the Appeal Court granting Lagos control of her waterways to take effect without hindrance.

“It is a matter for regret that ever since the judgment was pronounced, NIWA has ejected all state water guards monitoring standards from all federal owned jetties. In spite of this, the government of Lagos State aligns to the safety of citizens on the waterways. All Lagosians are enjoined to wear standard life jackets at all times on our waterways,” Kamson said.

Besides, the LASWA boss urged boat operators and other stakeholders in the inland waterways sector to adhere strictly to safety standards at all times.

Ad

X whatsapp