Wale Edun Announces FG’s Plan to Make Cash Transfers to Poor Nigerians Amid Increasing Hardship

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

By Isaac Akerele

The Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister for the Economy, Mr. Wale Edun said the Present administration plans to restart direct cash transfers to the poorest and most vulnerable Nigerians to further ease their pain.

According to him, the presidential panel on the social investment programs has prepared to go to President Tinubu with an internal recommendation to restart the direct payments to the poorest and the most vulnerable.

Mr. Edun also assured that this time, technology will be employed to ensure seamless and transparent payments, avoiding manual processes that may cause delays.

He further disclosed, during the Ministry’s retreat held in Uyo, Akwa-Ibom on Wednesday, that there have been about 3 million beneficiaries from the cash transfers so far, but with the poverty rates, there are probably another 12 million people, households that can benefit from that payment.

Ad

X whatsapp