Emefiele’s Fate Hangs In The Balance As FG Modifies Charges

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Trump Strips Kamala Harris of Secret Service Prrotection Amid Crackdown on Rivals

By Obinna Uballa Kamala Harris, the immediate past United States vice president has reportedly lost her Secret Service protection after the Trump administration abruptly terminated security coverage that is typically extended to such top personalities who have held high-level.offices, a White House official said on Friday. The move ends an arrangement approved by former president…

How a leaked phone call derailed the Thai PM’s career – and the Shinawatra dynasty

Thailand's Constitutional Court strikes again, removing yet another prime minister from office. The country's notoriously interventionist panel of nine appointed judges has ruled that Paetongtarn Shinawatra violated ethical standards in a phone call she had in June with the veteran Cambodian leader Hun Sen, which he then leaked. In it, Paetongtarn could be heard being…

Mapped: U.S. Tariff Rates by Country

Key Takeaways The Trump administration increased tariffs, citing trade deficits and national security concerns. Brazil and India received the highest tariff rate of 50%. Under the second Trump administration, new tariff levels have been applied to over 80 countries, with rates ranging from 10% to 50%. The U.S. President argues that persistent trade deficits and…

Ad

  • FG Mulls an Order Barring Him From Traveling

By Ken Afor

The Federal Government of Nigeria has modified charges against former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele following approval granted by a Federal Capital Territory(FCT) High Court to travel out of Abuja.

This was disclosed during a court session presided over by Justice Hamza Muazu of the FCT High Court on Thursday.

The charges against the former apex bank chief which were initially six were expanded to twenty. They include: Criminal Breach of Trust, Forgery, Conspiracy to Commit Forgery, Procurement Fraud, and Conspiracy to Commit Felony among others.

However, it remains uncertain whether the Federal Gov…
[1:59 pm, 18/01/2024] Ambassador Of Thailand Oma Djebah: Oyo Explosion: ownership details of mining company responsible for Ibadan blast emerge as Makinde Escalates effort to apprehend culprits

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has revealed that the mining company linked to the devastating explosion that rocked Ibadan on Tuesday is registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) under foreign ownership. The governor shared these crucial details while speaking on Channels TV’s Politics Today on Wednesday night.

Providing an update on the aftermath of the tragic incident, Governor Makinde confirmed that the death toll has tragically increased to three.

Speaking on efforts to unravel the identity of the firm responsible for the explosion, Makinde said his government is “actively working to identify those involved. Preliminary findings on the company indicate foreign names on the CAC documents, though it’s still early days. Transparency is our priority, and we have nothing to conceal.”

The governor further disclosed that authorities had identified individuals of interest believed to be linked with the explosion.

He clarified that the incident was not linked to banditry or insurgency but rather to illegal miners who stored explosives in a residential area.

Makinde reassured the public of his administration’s commitment to transparency, stating, “We have no reason for a cover-up, and the people of the state should trust us.”

In an effort to prevent future incidents, Governor Makinde unveiled plans to seek presidential approval for miners to store explosives under military supervision. He announced his intention to sign an executive order in the coming days to enforce this measure.

Providing relief to those affected by the explosion, the governor mentioned that temporary shelter had been arranged for residents whose houses were destroyed. Hotels in Bodija and the Agodi areas of the state capital are hosting those displaced by the tragic incident.

The New Diplomat recalls that Governor Makinde had earlier tied the explosion that rocked the state on Tuesday to the activities of illegal miners.

Makinde explained that the preliminary investigation conducted by security agencies revealed that illegal miners occupying one of the houses in Bodija had stored explosive devices in the building which caused the explosion.

However, Omoyele Sowore, the Presidential candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC), urged Governor Makinde to disclose the identity of the illegal miners responsible for the explosion.

Sowore also criticized the Department of State Services for not releasing a preliminary report, given its role in granting licenses for the use of explosives nationwide.

Ad

X whatsapp