Nigeria Counts Adverse Economic Cost Of US Travel Advisory

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Mapped: U.S. Tariff Rates by Country

Key Takeaways The Trump administration increased tariffs, citing trade deficits and national security concerns. Brazil and India received the highest tariff rate of 50%. Under the second Trump administration, new tariff levels have been applied to over 80 countries, with rates ranging from 10% to 50%. The U.S. President argues that persistent trade deficits and…

Thai Court Dismisses PM Over Compromising Phone Call with Cambodian Leader

Thailand’s Constitutional Court on Friday dismissed Paetongtarn Shinawatra from her position as prime minister, ruling that as the country’s leader she violated constitutional rules on ethics in a phone call with Cambodia’s Senate President Hun Sen. The ruling means she immediately loses her job, which she had held for about a year. Paetongtarn was suspended…

Oil Prices Dip but Stay on Track to Extend Last Week’s Gains

Crude oil prices were set for another weekly rise after additional 25% tariffs on Indian exports to the United States kicked in on Wednesday, raising doubts about the supply of Russian crude. At the time of writing,Ā Brent crudeĀ was trading at $68.17 per barrel, withĀ West Texas IntermediateĀ at $64.20 per barrel, both slightly down from Thursday’s close…

Ad

By Louis AchiĀ 

On the heels of last week’s cautionary travel advisory issued by the US to its citizens in Nigeria, the federal government had said it caused panic and severe adverse effects on the Nigerian economy.

Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, stated this during an interactive session with journalists on Monday in Abuja.

The US Embassy in Nigeria on Friday issued a notice of ā€œelevated threatsā€ to major hotels in Nigeria’s ā€œlarger cities.ā€ It, however, said the Nigerian security services are working diligently to counter the threat.

Idris said it is important not to generalise such advisories because they do not achieve anything. He added that the government had consistently prioritised the safety and well-being of all visitors to the country.

According to Idris, ā€œWe understand the concerns raised by the United States Government in their recent travel advisory but believe that it is imperative that we do not generalise isolated incidents across the entire hospitality industry.

ā€œWhat we have seen is that such advisories do not achieve anything other than needless panic, and they can have severe adverse economic impact, not to talk of what they do to undermine the government’s efforts to attract investment.

ā€œWe have consistently prioritised the safety and well-being of all visitors to our country. We have implemented comprehensive security measures, both at the Federal and State levels, to ensure the safety of tourists and international guests.

ā€œThese measures include intense intelligence gathering, acquisition and deployment of additional platforms, training and re-training of personnel, cooperation with international law enforcement agencies, among others, to maintain a secure environment.”

The minister also said the government is dedicated to ensuring the safety and well-being of all Nigerians and visitors and would continue to work towards maintaining a secure and hospitable environment for tourists and business travellers and the like.

He said the nation’s security agencies have been very busy, doing their best to keep everyone safe.

ā€œIn various parts of Kaduna State, seven bandits were neutralised, in various operations between the 1st and 3rd of November.

ā€œIn Kano State, on November 3, a joint operation by troops of the Nigerian Army and the Department of State Services carried out a dawn raid operation on terrorists’ hideout in Gezawa Local Government Area, successfully averting an imminent attack on Kano by insurgents.

ā€œThe operation recovered AK 47 Rifles, AK 47 Rifle Magazines, a Rocket Propelled Gun (RPG), RPG Bombs, Hand Grenades, Improvised Explosive Device (IED)-making materials, among others.

ā€œIn Katsina, two NYSC members abducted by bandits were successfully rescued.

ā€œIn the North-East and North-West of the country, the Nigerian Air Force has been very busy, with several successful airstrikes on bandits’ and terrorists’ camps and hideouts in Katsina, Zamfara and Borno States.

ā€œThe Air Force has also recently taken delivery of 4 new aircraft, to strengthen the fight against banditry and terrorism..

The minister said President Bola Tinubu was pleased with the quick and decisive response of the National Assembly in passing the 2023 supplementary budget.

He added that work was ongoing on the 2024 Appropriation Bill, which will be the first full-year budget of the Tinubu Administration.

Ad

X whatsapp