Oil Prices Jump As OPEC+ Confirms 648,000 Bpd Production Hike

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

Obi Slams ECOWAS Over Guinea-Bissau: Calls Out ‘Double Standard’ 

By Abiola Olawale Former Labour Party Presidential candidate Peter Obi has criticized the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), accusing the regional body of applying a glaring "double standard" in its response to the recent political turmoil in Guinea-Bissau. ​In a strong statement released on his X handle on Sunday, titled "Reflecting on the…

Presidency Slams Obasanjo, Says Terrorism Began During His Administration 

By Abiola Olawale The Presidency has criticised former President Olusegun Obasanjo, directly challenging his recent critiques on the nation's security crisis. In a statement issued on Sunday, the Presidency asserted that the foundation of terrorism and extremist violence in Nigeria was laid during Obasanjo's tenure, dismissing the narrative that the current administration inherited a peaceful,…

Atiku slams N17.5trn pipeline security bill, says figure rivals Nigeria’s 12-year subsidy bill

By Obinna Uballa Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has accused President Bola Tinubu’s administration of overseeing what he described as one of the most alarming financial scandals in Nigeria’s history, following revelations that the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) spent N17.5 trillion in one year on pipeline and energy security. In a statement issued…

Ad

  • Oil prices rebounded slightly on Tuesday morning after OPEC+ rubberstamped the expected 648,000 bpd production increase.
  • OPEC is set to hold its next meeting on August 3.
  • The output quota set two years ago is about to be completely rolled back.

The OPEC+ meeting ended in a relatively quick fashion on Thursday, agreeing to boost production by 648,000 bpd in August, according to Energy Intel’s Chief OPEC Correspondent, Amena Bakr.

The Joint Ministerial Monitoring Committee meeting (JMMC), which began at 13:00 Vienna time (7:30 a.m. ET), was followed by the full OPEC+ ministerial meeting. The latter was not expected to offer any surprise, with the majority of analysts predicting that the group would rubberstamp the quota increase that it had previously set for August of 648,000 bpd.

At that increase, the quota—set two years ago—would be completely rolled back.

This would free up some of its members that have spare capacity to boost production in September if they choose, although the lack of compliance with the current quotas suggests that any ramp-up in production to meet August’s quota—and beyond—is doubtful.

While it’s clear that the production cuts will officially be completely rolled back as of August, the OPEC+ group has signaled that it intends to stick together to provide support to the market, with consistent signals coming from the group over the last couple of months that the alliance with Russia would continue. Four OPEC+ delegates told Reuters, however, that today’s meeting would not include discussions about September’s production plans. Two others said that the topic of September production could come up.

OPEC is set to hold its next meeting on August 3, which will determine September production plans, Bakr said in a tweet following the meeting.

The group’s first in-person meeting since the pandemic is scheduled for the first week of December.

Oil prices were slightly higher on Thursday minutes after the meeting, with Brent crude trading at $116.00 (-0.22%).

NB: Julianne Geiger wrote this article for Oilprice.com

Ad

X whatsapp