Senate President Dismisses Allegation of $10m Bribe

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer
2023: Lawan Out As INEC Publishes Final List Of NASS Candidates

Ad

Tesla sales tumble 40% in Europe as BYD surges past rival

By Obinna Uballa Tesla’s grip on the European electric vehicle market continued to loosen in July, with sales plunging 40% year-on-year even as Chinese challenger BYD posted explosive growth, according to data from the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) on Thursday. New car registrations of Tesla vehicles totaled 8,837 in July, down 40% year-on-year, according…

Tinubu Returns to Abuja, Says Foreign Engagements ‘ll Enhance Nigeria’s Economic Growth

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu returned to Abuja on Thursday, August 28, 2025, following a state visit to Brazil and an earlier visit to Japan. Shortly after his return, Tinubu stated that his international engagements are focused on fostering economic growth, job creation, and long-term prosperity for Nigerians. In a statement shared on…

Access HoldCo Names Innocent Ike CEO as Aig-Imoukhuede tightens grip after Wigwe’s death

By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has confirmed the appointment of Mr. Innocent Ike as its substantive Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (GMD/CEO), effective August 29, 2025, following approval from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The announcement comes less than 24 hours after Roosevelt Ogbonna, the Managing Director of Access Bank, resigned…

Ad

Senate President Ahmad Lawan has described as false the 10 million dollars bribe allegedly offered to members of the two chambers of the National Assembly to pass three per cent host community development fund.

Lawan stated this while briefing State House correspondents after a closed door meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari in the Presidential Villa, Abuja on Monday.

The senate president frowned at the way and manner that some citizens had been spreading fake news and misinformation against the NASS and the government.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Sahara Reporters had reported that the leadership of NASS had been allegedly accused of taking bribe to pass the Petroleum Industry Bill.

According to Sahara Reporters, the Senate President, Ahmad Lawan and the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila were paid in dollars to ensure the passage of the PIB which was signed into law on Aug. 16 by President Buhari.

However, the senate president said: “People say anything or everything about the President, about the administration, about members of National Assembly, they call us names and this is part of the intangible dividends of democracy.

“But we are determined to ensure that the space is wide open for everybody to say whatever he wants to say.

“But I will advise that don’t say things that are bad because people are in the habit of…and recently somebody said 10 million dollars was given to the Speaker and the Senate President to give to members of the National Assembly to pass three per cent host community development fund.

“That is funny, but also very serious.

“I really want to take this opportunity to take exceptions to those kinds of unwarranted, false and fake information being fed to the Nigerian public and the danger people will face with this is you cause unnecessary damage to the reputation of people.’’

Lawan recalled how he filled legal suit against someone (name withheld) who allegedly spread similar falsehood against him.

“I had an occasion to take someone to court because of this kind of thing about three months ago.

“But Nigerians are better judges than anywhere else. So, the freedom of expression is there, probably more than anywhere in the world, but I want to caution that Nigerians should always think positive about their leaders, administration and governments.

“And if they have issues they feel very strongly about, let them speak the truth and we are prepared to tell corrections, and that we feel should be able to make us do better,’’ he added.

On the massive surrender of Boko Haram insurgents, Lawan expressed satisfaction with the new strategies adopted by the armed forces and other security agencies in tackling insurgency in the Northeastern part of the country.

He said the massive surrender by members of the Boko Haram sect was a clear indication that the war against insurgency would soon be over.

He, however, cautioned that the repentant insurgents should be properly screened.

“I’m sure the new strategies by the current leadership of the armed forces are working.

“Boko Haram, having lost its leader and probably having lost so many commanders, some of them think they should just throw in the towel.

“Therefore, it’s one of those success stories of the fight against insurgency in the Northeast,’’ he added.

Lawan disclosed that his meeting with the president also touched on 2022 budget proposal, activities of the Buni-led Caretaker Committee of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as well as the need to complete some legacy projects by the Buhari administration. (NAN) (www.nannews.ng)

Ad

X whatsapp