Reps Suspends Press Bill For More Consultation — Sponsor, Odebunmi

'Dotun Akintomide
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

The House of Representatives has announced the suspension of the controversial Nigerian Press Council (NPC) amendment bill before the National Assembly.

Hon. Odebunmi, Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Information National Orientation Ethics and Values disclosed this on Tuesday.

Odebunmi, a lawmaker representing Ogo Oluwa/Surulere Federal Constituency of Oyo State and sponsor of the bill said the bill’s suspension was to allow for more consultation with appropriate authorities and stakeholders.

The NPC Amendment Bill seeks to amend the Nigerian Press Council (NPC) Act Cap N128, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 1992.

With the provisions in the bill, the Minister of Information will derive more powers to control the conduct of print media houses and media practitioners from the proposed amendment.

The minister will also have rights to approve penalties and fines against violation of the Press Code by print media houses and media practitioners, including revocation of license.

Section 3 (c) of the amendment bill says: “with the approval of the minister in charge of information, establish and disseminate a national Press Code and standards to guide conduct of print media, related media and media practitioners.”

Following the emergence of the amendment bill, many Nigerians, including journalists and CSOs have raised alarmed, accusing the Nigerian government of planning to clamp down on freedom of information.

Similarly, most newspapers in the country had on Monday featured an advertorial on their cover pages, calling on citizens to themselves own the campaign against what they described as looming “information blackout” in Nigeria, should the ammendment to the two Acts scale through.

Meanwhile, following widespread condemnation, Odebunmi, while speaking on Channels TV announced that the bill has been suspended.

In his words, “We have suspended the process for more consultation to happen on it. They demanded a lot of time and I said ‘no problem, we have given you; even if you spend three, four to five weeks’. So far, more consultations from critical stakeholders, and many people have been submitting their memoranda to the national assembly even within the industry.

“My intention is not to gag the press, and unless all the practitioners can say all is well with the industry, to the best of my knowledge I know all is not well. And I know the national assembly has the power to look into the existing act.

“All is not well with the NPC agency. It is an agency of government, and you’re expecting something to be given back to the society, but until now nothing has been coming from the agency.”

Ad

X whatsapp