P/H Refinery may resume operation in July, to refine 5m litres of petrol daily

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

U.S. Oil Output Beats Weekly Estimates in June

U.S. crude oil production hit a new record in June at 13.58 million barrels per day, according to the Energy Information Administration’s latest Petroleum Supply Monthly. That’s 133,000 barrels more than May and 2.5 percent higher than a year ago. The new monthly figures also show a sharp disconnect from the EIA’s weekly estimates. For…

Zelenskyy fumes as ex-Ukrainian parliament speaker is shot dead

By Obinna Uballa Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has condemned the killing of former parliament speaker Andriy Parubiy as a “horrendous murder,” vowing that every resource will be deployed to track down the attacker. “All necessary forces and means are engaged in the investigation and search for the killer,” Zelenskyy said in a statement on social…

Rivers Crisis: Fubara will return as governor after September 18, Wike declares

• Hails LG election as peaceful By Obinna Uballa Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has assured that Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, and the State House of Assembly will resume their constitutional duties once the emergency rule in the state expires on September 18. Wike, who spoke to journalists on Saturday…

Ad

refinery-7-e1432933274425The Group Managing Director (GMD), Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Dr Joseph Dawha, on Thursday said the Port Harcourt Refinery might resume operation by July. Dawha said this while addressing newsmen after a tour of some filling stations in Abuja with some top management staff of the corporation.

“When the refinery comes up stream in late June or early July we expect that it will run at least 80 per cent installed capacity. “It will give us a contribution of about five million litres of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) on a daily basis.”

Dawha said the ongoing Turn Around Maintenance(TAM) of the refineries was a conscious effort to ensure that they were all running.

“If the refineries were not in depth or in good state to process crude for maximum gain there was no need of sending crude to such refineries for processing. “What we do is to fix them so that we can get the real value for products.

“We are satisfied with the level of work carried out so far at the Port Harcourt Refinery so that if we start processing crude now we will get value for the refined products.

“So there will not be distraction as it will be, if refineries were operating properly.” The GMD also decried the spate of vandalism of the pipeline in the country, stressing that the NNPC was working hard to put in place mechanism to minimise the menace. He described the situation as “a very serious matter”, noting that NNPC could not use the pipeline network supply because of vandalism.

“If you send products through the vandalised pipeline then you lose the product. “We cannot live it that way; we have to repair them but as you do that, it is vandalised again. It is a very serious matter. “We are left with the option of trucking which involves a lot of logistics to succeed.” The Managing Director of the Pipeline Products Marketing Company (PPMC), Prince Haruna Momoh, condemned the recent vandalised system 2B pipeline of the NNPC in Lagos.

According to him, the system 2B pipeline in Ije Ododo in Lagos is the most vandalised structure. He said that already the situation had been controlled and repair of the pipeline would soon begin. “As at today, the NNPC imports 50 per cent of the petroleum products into the country as part of the 40 million litres daily consumption by Nigerians.

“The corporation will continue to intensify its efforts to wet the country with products from its coastal depots to inland depots.” He said the NNPC was ready to work with all the relevant stakeholders in the downstream sector of the Oil and Gas Industry to end the lingering fuel scarcity.

 

Ad

X whatsapp