Covid-19: No Reopening Of Schools In Edo Now As Obaseki Imposes Fresh Curfew

'Dotun Akintomide
Writer

Ad

Tesla sales tumble 40% in Europe as BYD surges past rival

By Obinna Uballa Tesla’s grip on the European electric vehicle market continued to loosen in July, with sales plunging 40% year-on-year even as Chinese challenger BYD posted explosive growth, according to data from the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) on Thursday. New car registrations of Tesla vehicles totaled 8,837 in July, down 40% year-on-year, according…

Tinubu Returns to Abuja, Says Foreign Engagements ‘ll Enhance Nigeria’s Economic Growth

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu returned to Abuja on Thursday, August 28, 2025, following a state visit to Brazil and an earlier visit to Japan. Shortly after his return, Tinubu stated that his international engagements are focused on fostering economic growth, job creation, and long-term prosperity for Nigerians. In a statement shared on…

Access HoldCo Names Innocent Ike CEO as Aig-Imoukhuede tightens grip after Wigwe’s death

By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has confirmed the appointment of Mr. Innocent Ike as its substantive Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (GMD/CEO), effective August 29, 2025, following approval from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The announcement comes less than 24 hours after Roosevelt Ogbonna, the Managing Director of Access Bank, resigned…

Ad

From Ameachi Prosper (The New Diplomat’s Abuja Bureau)

Governor Godwin Obaseki on Friday said schools in Edo state will remain closed untilĀ  Feb. 1, as the state grapples with the second wave of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

The governor also announced that the 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew had been reactivated in the state, adding that the state has the logistics and human capacity to respond to the pandemic.

Obaseki who briefed the press in Benin, said, “We have decided that schools will not reopen for now; this situation will be reviewed by Feb. 1.

“We will like our schools to reopen on Feb. 1, depending on the situation then.”

According to the governor, “between now and that time, we will be going round to make sure that these schools have running water.

ā€œWe want to ensure spacing for the children are in place and we want to ensure that they have temperature checks at the entrance of each school.

ā€œEach classroom should not hold more than 30 percent of the students; all of that is being worked out by the Ministry of Education and the Edo State Universal Basic Education Board (EDOSUBEB).

ā€œWithin the next two weeks, we should be able to finalize plans to allow children to go back to school.

ā€œIn the meantime, we will reactivate EdoBest at home. You will recall that during the first wave, we were able to create over 9,000 virtual classrooms for these children to learn.

ā€œWe will not relocate markets as we did the first time. We will work with market associations to ensure that we continue the fumigation of the markets on an ongoing basis.

ā€œAll markets and shops must ensure they have running water, soaps, and hand sanitiser at the entrance. We are working on alternative opening days for stores in the markets.

ā€œWe will introduce the no-face-mask, no-entry policy in every market and store in Edo.”

He appealed to all worship centers to ensure that children under 12 and the elderly were not allowed to attend services, following the prevalence of the disease.

ā€œReligious gathering should not last for more than one hour. Where there is more than one service, there should be an hour interval to allow for decontamination.

ā€œEvent centers should not admit more than 30 percent of their capacity, while hotels should shut down their swimming pools and restaurant operators should encourage take away,ā€ he said.

Ad

X whatsapp