Covid-19: We’ve Not Imposed Lockdown, FG Allays Fears

'Dotun Akintomide
Writer
Taliban Takeover: Lessons US Should Learn From Nigeria – Lai Mohammed

Ad

Details: Why Roosevelt Ogbonna Quit Access HoldCo board

• He remains Bank MD, Says Access By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has explained that Mr. Roosevelt Ogbonna, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Access Bank Plc, resigned from the Board of the HoldCo to comply with regulatory guidelines issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The company, in a statement signed…

U.S. Crude Stocks Fall Another 2.4 Million Barrels

Crude oil inventories in the United States decreased by 2.4 million barrels during the week ending August 22, after falling 6 million barrels in the week prior, according to new data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) released on Wednesday. The build brings commercial stockpiles to 418.3 million barrels according to government data, which…

NASA Chief, Experts Hail SpaceX as its Starship nails key test flight after fiery failures

By Obinna Uballa SpaceX's major win on Tuesday as its big Starship rocket successfully completed a critical test flight, marking a turnaround after a string of explosive setbacks earlier in the year, has elicited reactions, reports said. Experts have reportedly hailed the move as groundbreaking. The more-than-400-foot rocket, central to SpaceX’s commercial ambitions and NASA’s…

Ad

The Federal Government on Tuesday clarified that it has not declared a fresh lockdown of the country following confirmation of the second wave of Covid-19.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed gave this clarification when he featured on a Radio Nigeria programme, “Politics Nationwide”, in Abuja.

The minister said the directives and position of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 at its briefing on Monday, did not translate to partial or total lockdown as reported in some sections of the media.

He allayed the fears of Nigerians and some listeners that called-in during the programme that a lockdown might have negative effects on the already stressed economy.

Mohammed explained that what the Federal Government had done was to reduce the chances of mass gathering by directing its workers from Level 12 below to work from home.

He said the government also reiterated already existing ban on night clubs and other COVID-19 protocols.

“The Federal Government has not declared a fresh lockdown.

“What we have done is that we have simply reiterated the old protocols and asked federal workers on Level 12 and below to stay at home and they will still receive their salaries.

“Lagos state has equally asked their level 14 workers and below to work from home and Kaduna state has done the same.

“Therefore, there is no fresh lockdown and the issue of hardship and economy meltdown does not arise,’’ he said.

The minister said that the government also reminded Nigerians that the ban on social gathering is still on and Churches and Mosques should obey the social gathering rules.

He said the directive is to curtail people from gathering because they found out that COVID-19 had reached the level of community transmission.

Mohammed said the protocols on foreign travels subsist to the effect that those travelling to Nigeria would not be able to come on board unless they have the certificate that they tested negative for the virus.

He said when they arrive into the country, they must self-isolate for seven days after which they would go back for a confirmation test.

During the briefing on Monday, the Chairman of PTF, Boss Mustapha advised states to immediately close all bars, nightclubs, and restaurants across the country.

He said the number of guests at weddings, conferences, among others had also been limited to 50 persons.

Mustapha, who is the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, said the new guidelines are part of measures to limit the spread of the virus.

NAN

Ad

X whatsapp