A former Minister of Information, Labaran Maku has debunked the claim that he is involved in the reported plan by former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, and a national leader of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu, to form a new mega party ahead of 2023.
Maku who is the national secretary of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) served as a cabinet minister under former President Goodluck Jonathan.
Recently, a report had purportedly emerged that some notable politicians across political spectrums are planning a new mega party ahead of 2023. Also, the purported report had it that the duo met with former minister, Maku and other political heavyweights in the country.
The purported report also mentioned former president of the Senate, Bukola Saraki, Governors Nyesom Wike of Rivers, Aminu Tambuwal of Sokoto and Bala Mohammed of Bauchi as those who attended the meeting.
Meanwhile, it is in the public domain that Tinubu, a former governor of Lagos, is believed to be eyeing the presidency ahead of 2023 and there’s been moves towards that lately.
But Maku, who spoke on Sunday, said the report claiming he was meeting with Atiku and Tinubu for a new party was fake.
According to a report by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Maku, who was candidate of APGA during the 2019 governorship election in Nasarawa, debunked the claims while speaking in Wakama, Akun development area of the state.
The former minister urged his supporters and other Nigerians to disregard the information in its totality in the interest of peace.
“Please disregard such report. It’s the fakest news of the year promoted by some frightened detractors in Nasarawa state who are scared of the widespread popularity of APGA.
“I haven’t met Asiwaju Tinubu for years and I am in APGA by choice having considered all the other options.
“Just last week, there was a report on eyewitness newspaper in Nasarawa state titled ‘2023: Maku, Umbugadu talks on Consensus Reaches Advanced stage’,” he said adding that the report was aimed at causing crisis among his supporters.
Maku attributed the report to those who he alleged stole his mandate adding that they were scared of his bright future.
The report had made the rounds across social media platforms claiming there were talks between Maku and the two for the new party.